Recent Fire Damage Posts

How To Avoid Space Heater Fires

2/15/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage How To Avoid Space Heater Fires Space Heater Safety Tips

A space heater can provide extra warmth. It can also save on heating bills by allowing you to set the thermostat in your home in Blairstown, NJ, on low while still heating the specific rooms you are using to a comfortable temperature. A burned space heater doesn't help you, though. To avoid space heater fires, you need to follow a few simple tips.

Space Heater Safety Tips

Give It Space

The heating elements on a space heater give off an impressive amount of heat, but they can turn into a fire hazard quickly if they are crowded. There are several guidelines to make sure you have enough space around your heater:

  • Maintain radius of three feet from flammable objects
  • Don't use near combustible substances, such as gasoline
  • Keep children and pets away from heater
  • Set it on a level surface so it doesn't topple over


Turn It Off

To avoid having a burned space heater when you leave the room, remember to turn it off. Space heaters should never be left unattended while they are on, especially if you leave the house altogether. In fact, it's a good idea to unplug the heater when you are not at home. Keep an eye out for a frayed or otherwise damaged cord.

Keep It Clean

Keep your space heater clean to minimize fire risk. Dust and other debris can turn a functioning space heater into an electric fireplace in a hurry. Replace filters regularly according to the manufacturer's recommendation so that dirt does not infiltrate the heating mechanism. Follow maintenance instructions so that it not only lasts a long time but also does not become a safety issue.

A burned space heater can turn convenience into a nightmare. By following these simple guidelines, you can increase your creature comforts while still keeping you and your family safe. To avoid having to call for fire cleanup with a restoration company, choose a space heater that is safe and use it safely.

The 3 Most Common Home Fire Causes

2/4/2019 (Permalink)

Fire Damage The 3 Most Common Home Fire Causes Smoking is one of the most preventable causes of a home fire

The 3 Most Common Home Fire Causes

The most common causes of home fires can be prevented with basic fire safety measures and equipment. Find out more about three common fire causes to make more informed home fire safety decisions.

1. Cooking

Cooking often involves a combination of hot stoves or ovens, open fire, and flammable substances,
such as animal or vegetable oils or grease. It is important to monitor food while cooking. If you are cooking something that takes a long time, periodically check in on the progress to prevent burning. Make sure that smoke detectors in this part of a home are functional. A fire extinguisher can promote kitchen safety, but may also cause grease fires to spread. Keep baking soda and salt near the stove to smother these types of fires before covering flames with a metal lid or another pot.

2. Heating

Malfunctioning furnaces or the improper use of space heaters are common causes of heating fires. Schedule regular furnace inspections and perform periodic maintenance. Only operate a space heater on a hard, non-flammable surface while attended and at a safe distance from combustible materials.

3. Smoking

Smoking is one of the most preventable causes of a home fire. Avoid smoking in bedrooms or after taking medication that may cause drowsiness. Use stable ashtrays when smoking indoors and ensure that cigarettes are completely extinguished before leaving the room. It is safest to smoke outside and provide a wind-proof disposal solution, such as a bucket filled with sand.

Cooking, heating, and smoking are three common fire causes. A homeowner may be able to prevent or limit the damage resulting from a home fire by taking precautionary measures and installing and testing fire safety equipment such as smoke detectors and fire extinguishers. A damage restoration and fire cleaning service can help if a fire breaks out for any reason at a residence in Washington Township, NJ.

Protect Your Home and Family With These 3 Fire Alarm Tips

12/30/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Protect Your Home and Family With These 3 Fire Alarm Tips Replace your smoke alarm

Fire Prevention and Detection

There are several ways to protect your Oxford Township,NJ, home from damage or danger, especially when it comes to fire prevention and detection. You may believe that having a fire alarm present in the kitchen or main room of your home is adequate protection; however, since fires can start anywhere and grow quickly, it is important to understand how effective your fire detection tactics are before a fire breaks out.

1. Review the Current Number of Alarms

While having a smoke alarm on the main floor of your home can give you a measure of protection from fire and reduce the chance of major smoke damage to that room and its contents, it may not have the reach to detect fires in other areas of your home. For example, if the fire starts in the basement, the alarm may not sound until the blaze has grown large enough to reach the first floor from below. Consider placing a smoke detector on each floor and inside each bedroom for optimum protection.

2. Test and Change Batteries Annually

Choosing a specific day to replace the batteries in each fire alarm inside your home can help you remember to service them all at the same time. One way to remind yourself is to set a notification on your phone or calendar the day the clocks fall back in late fall so you can be sure each alarm has fresh batteries for the coming winter, when the risk of fire damage increases due to the use of space heaters, fireplaces and candles.

3. Examine and Replace Older Smoke Detectors

If any smoke detectors in your home are 10 years of age or older, you might want to replace them with newer models. Older alarms might fail when you need them most, which can result in disaster. If you want to add new alarms to your home as well as replace old ones, ask a fire damage and restoration service to advise you about where to place them.

Understanding fire alarm maintenance can help you protect your Oxford Township,NJ, home. The more you learn, the better the chances you can prevent the devastation a house fire causes.

Did You Know Water Damage Can Be the Result of a Fire?

10/23/2018 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Did You Know Water Damage Can Be the Result of a Fire? Flood damage in Mount Hermon,NJ

If you’re worried your home could suffer fire damage in Mount Hermon,NJ, you may already have a fire safety plan in place. But did you know that a fire can also lead to damage from water as well? Here is some information about how flooding can occur after a fire and what can be done if it happens.

How Water Damage Can Occur

There are a few ways water type damage can occur due to a fire.

  • Fires can burn away parts of the exterior structure in your home leaving it vulnerable to storm water
  • The heat from a fire can cause pipes to burst leading to flooding
  • Heat can warp pipes leading to leaks that can cause damage
  • A fire hose can expel gallons of water at a time and leave your home flooded

Why Flood Water is Concerning

In most cases, flooding after fire damage can be a cause for concern. Standing water can not only seep into the structure, weakening it and causing further damage, but it can become a prime area for mold growth. Depending on the water source there may also be sanitation issues to consider.

What to do About Water Damage

After a fire, a home may be left vulnerable to the elements, weakened pipes, and even the very firefighting efforts that helped save it. Fortunately, damage after a fire is not uncommon, meaning there are ways to restore your home. A team of fire and water damage professionals can take care of everything from cleaning and sanitation to restoration, rebuilding your home to pre-fire comfort and integrity.

Because fire damage can also lead to flooding, it’s important to understand how this occurs and what should be done about it. If flood damage does occur in your home after a fire, it’s best to get it cleaned up as soon as possible to prevent possible contamination and mold problems. Your local Mount Hermon,NJ, professionals can help.